Permanent Collections

Founded in 1801, the Fine Arts Museum of Bordeaux is the oldest public museum of the city and plays an important local, regional and international role. Its collection of paintings, sculptures, prints and drawings is known worldwide, thanks to some 200-300 works lent to French and foreign museums each year. The collections are divided between the two wings of the museum. The permanent collections cover a significant panorama of European art from the 15th to the 20th century, from Perugino, Titian, Veronese, Brueghel the Elder, Van Dyck, Rubens, Chardin, Delacroix, Corot, Rodin, Kokoshka, Picasso, to Matisse. This encyclopaedic vision is coupled with a strong regional identity, as shown with the works of artists from Bordeaux such as the neoclassical artists Lacour and Taillasson, the symbolist Redon, the fauve artist Marquet, the art-deco painter Dupas or the cubist Lhote. Built in 1939, the Gallery of Fine Arts houses the museum’s temporary expositions.  
 
The museum also has an eventful cultural program and a dynamic cultural mediation policy for all ages.